Maximize the beauty and appeal of your home!
With the weather warming up, you may have started cleaning up your flower beds. When you're planning out what to plant, you can create additional beauty by attracting butterflies. It's easier than you may have thought. Here are some tips from the National Wildlife Federation.
1. Plant native flowering plants - These plants will provide nectar and foliage that butterflies need as adults and as caterpillars. For a list of recommended plants for Michigan click here.
2. Color is important! - Adult butterflies are attracted to red, yellow, orange, pink and purple blossoms that are flat-topped or clustered and have short flower tubes.
3. Full Sun - Adult butterflies generally prefer to feed in the sun. Plant your nectar sources in places that receive full sun from mid morning to mid afternoon.
4. Provide a place for butterflies to rest - Place flat stones in the area for the butterflies to land and bask in the sun.
5. Butterflies like puddles - Butterflies like to drink water and extract minerals from sandy puddles. Place a shallow pan filled slightly with course sand in your habitat and be sure keep water in it.
It won't just be the butterflies that improve your curb appeal, but the colorful flowers as well. If you are trying to sell your home, many buyers will perceive the presence of beautiful butterflies to be a sign that yours is the right home. Adding any beauty to a home can only improve the experience of living there.